A great way to get the most out of summers best tomatoes is to freeze them while they are fresh and incorporate them into your cooking throughout the year. This tested and true method helps ensure they freeze fast and taste great when you get to cooking.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and fill a large bowl with Ice Water, and lightly grease or parchment line a cookie sheet.
- With a paring knife, lightly cut an X across the bottoms of your tomatoes.
- Carefully dip your tomatoes in the boiling water, for ≈30 sec, or until the skin begins to peel.
- Immediately remove tomatoes to ice water to bring their temp down, so you can handle them.
- Remove tomatoes to a work surface, halve and remove the seeds from each half.
- From here either line up freeze the halves on a cookie sheet, or blend tomatoes with a food mill, processor or blender on low, and freeze in batches using freezer bags (still using the cookie sheet)
When you want to use them, thaw your tomatoes in the refrigerator over night, and enjoy!